Destiny Tracker Network
RioT650
RioT650

10 Credits 9 Posts
5 Credit(s) Received
As most of you are aware of now, Bungie has officially announced the addition of skill based matchmaking to the game, and it is active in all playlists. While there are a number of complaints ranging from poor connections to the lack of "easy, relaxed" matchmaking, my concern regarding Destiny Tracker is that it is now incredibly harder to obtain a DTR 50. In my opinion, I actually like this change. It should be difficult to obtain a 50. While I dislike the meta, I enjoy having to try in a vast majority of my games. This is besides the point though. My main concern has to do with the Rumble playlist.

Rumble has always been finicky. Only the first place person receives rank up credit (I have lost percentage points on second place finishes with a 2,450+ score on numerous occasions). Join in progress is still in play, and it at times is impossible to come back to win in a game where you first touch down with the average score being 1,300+. With the introduction of skill based matchmaking, it has become near impossible to win on a consistent enough basis to rank up a few percentage points an hour. I'm one of the highest rated Elo players in Rumble in the world (#12 on this site, and top ten on that Guardiangg site). While Elo is not a visual representation of the formula that Bungie uses for skill based matchmaking, it is certainly comparable. When I play Rumble, I am playing against other top ranked players, and with only one person being able to win, ranking up the playlist trueskill has become a near impossible task.

It's easy to shrug this post off as someone selfish who only cares for their stats. I'm not the only person affected by this. While I'm fine with the playlist being challenging to rank up, it should be a feasible achievement. Year one it was (though a struggle), but year two I just don't see it being done.

Hey Im Swat
Hey Im Swat

436 Credits 1524 Posts
Hi,

You can read and post any questions regarding DestinyTracker Trueskill here

I'm one of the highest rated Elo players in Rumble in the world

Can I just point out that you're not actually? You're only ranked XXX on a site. We (and other stat tracking sites) do not have every player in our database so you cannot be XXX in the world.

Any further questions (not about DTR score/Trueskill), make a thread! :)

Follow me on Twitter:@HeyImSwat
RioT650
RioT650

10 Credits 9 Posts
Hey Im Swat said:Hi,

Can I just point out that you're not actually? You're only ranked XXX on a site. We (and other stat tracking sites) do not have every player in our database so you cannot be XXX in the world.

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately the post you linked doesn't address my main concern, regarding the addition of SBMM.

If the question about whether or not any adjustment to DTR trueskill will be made since the release of SBMM could be answered, I would greatly appreciate it.

Additionally, I think that what you quoted is strictly semantics. I understand that there are a large number of players that are not accounted for in the leaderboards; of those who are counted, this is where I stand.

Hey Im Swat
Hey Im Swat

436 Credits 1524 Posts
RioT650 said:

Hi again,

Can I ask what exactly is your issue?

RioT650
RioT650

10 Credits 9 Posts
Hey Im Swat said:
RioT650 said:

Hi again,

Can I ask what exactly is your issue?

I am curious if the formula that determines DTR Trueskill will be adjusted to accommodate for the introduction of SBMM. Year one players are significantly advantaged for a number of reasons when it comes to having a high DTR Trueskill level, as compared to their year two counterparts. As I had mentioned in the original post, I am all for having DTR Trueskill more difficult to obtain (because of the introduction of SBMM); my fear lies in the fact that it makes certain playlists such as Rumble near impossible.

Hey Im Swat
Hey Im Swat

436 Credits 1524 Posts
RioT650 said:

Thanks for the reply. I'll get the correct member of staff to give you a reply to your query.

@Darkened Night

Yin
Yin

308 Credits 356 Posts
Bungie is planning on making some changes to their API in the coming weeks. When this hits, we'll definitely look at the data we have on hand and decide how to move from there. The problem with TrueSkill is that we don't analyze the data from each game, only the aggregates provided by the API when you collect your stats. The Destiny API only returns a win for the first place finisher under those aggregated stats and doesn't record join in progress match ups. This is different for Elo, where we track every player in Destiny. We've only recently implemented this, TrueSkill is something we have the potential of revising in the near future.

TLDR; we're pending a few updates to the API before reexamining everything at the moment. We've got a ton of data, but we need to make sure we can still make good use of it all before we jump on those changes.

Yin
Yin

308 Credits 356 Posts
Hey Im Swat said:Can I just point out that you're not actually? You're only ranked XXX on a site. We (and other stat tracking sites) do not have every player in our database so you cannot be XXX in the world.

This is incorrect for Elo. We track every game played in Destiny whether you've visited the site before or not (after Dec 1st).

RioT650
RioT650

10 Credits 9 Posts
Darkened Night said:Bungie is planning on making some changes to their API in the coming weeks. When this hits, we'll definitely look at the data we have on hand and decide how to move from there. The problem with TrueSkill is that we don't analyze the data from each game, only the aggregates provided by the API when you collect your stats. The Destiny API only returns a win for the first place finisher under those aggregated stats and doesn't record join in progress match ups. This is different for Elo, where we track every player in Destiny. We've only recently implemented this, TrueSkill is something we have the potential of revising in the near future.

Thank you for the speedy reply. Sounds like there is perhaps some hope after all.

Since I have your attention, could you answer a few more questions for me? A while back I had raised the issue about Salvage Doubles not counting towards Trueskill. You had said that it was an issue with the API on Bungie's end, and that all that could be done was by sending them an email. I have noticed since then that the Salvage Doubles games affect the Team Salvage playlist; at least they are counting for something. I suppose though that there is still no way to make them count for Team Doubles? It is a very frustrating playlist to rank up in terms of DTR Trueskill since only approximately 50% (and it sure only feels like 1/3rd) of games end up being Doubles Skirmish?

The second question is whether or not the Valentine Day Doubles playlist that will be released February 9th will have DTR Trueskill involved. I understand if that is underwraps or still unknown at this point.

I do apologize for bringing up additional concerns on this post; it certainly makes it look messy.

Thanks again for the quick response.

Hey Im Swat
Hey Im Swat

436 Credits 1524 Posts
Darkened Night said:

Now that's amazing.

Yin
Yin

308 Credits 356 Posts
RioT650 said:
Darkened Night said:Bungie is planning on making some changes to their API in the coming weeks. When this hits, we'll definitely look at the data we have on hand and decide how to move from there. The problem with TrueSkill is that we don't analyze the data from each game, only the aggregates provided by the API when you collect your stats. The Destiny API only returns a win for the first place finisher under those aggregated stats and doesn't record join in progress match ups. This is different for Elo, where we track every player in Destiny. We've only recently implemented this, TrueSkill is something we have the potential of revising in the near future.

Thank you for the speedy reply. Sounds like there is perhaps some hope after all.

Since I have your attention, could you answer a few more questions for me? A while back I had raised the issue about Salvage Doubles not counting towards Trueskill. You had said that it was an issue with the API on Bungie's end, and that all that could be done was by sending them an email. I have noticed since then that the Salvage Doubles games affect the Team Salvage playlist; at least they are counting for something. I suppose though that there is still no way to make them count for Team Doubles? It is a very frustrating playlist to rank up in terms of DTR Trueskill since only approximately 50% (and it sure only feels like 1/3rd) of games end up being Doubles Skirmish?

The second question is whether or not the Valentine Day Doubles playlist that will be released February 9th will have DTR Trueskill involved. I understand if that is underwraps or still unknown at this point.

I do apologize for bringing up additional concerns on this post; it certainly makes it look messy.

Thanks again for the quick response.

When we retrieve a list of your recent games, each match has a number that represents a mode that was assigned to it. For some reason, the API returns Salvage Doubles matches as a Salvage game. It's total bologna, and I understand the frustration because I had originally planned on going for a 50 in doubles myself. This similarly applies to the upcoming Valentine's event. If Bungie sets the mode properly, we'll have a playlist with TrueSkill for it. If they don't, we'll have no way of separating it from it's original mode. This issue also applies to Iron Banner being Rift.

xorth
xorth

641 Credits 517 Posts
Hey Im Swat said:Hi,

Swat, actually you're wrong. Elo includes every destiny player in the world. @RioT650 is indeed top 200 rumble players in the world.

Hey Im Swat
Hey Im Swat

436 Credits 1524 Posts
xorth said:

That's a first.