Destiny 2 Tracker Network
ODST Parker
ODST Parker

3 Credits 6 Posts
1 Credit(s) Received
I've been reforging my weapons since House of Wolves came out. I was so excited that I could finally get better perks on all of my favorite weapons. However, that just isn't the case. I've sat at the gunsmith for 10 minutes at a time, wasting all of my motes of light, weapon parts, and limited glimmer, getting crap roll after crap roll. Whether it's the wrong damage element, bad scopes on a sniper rifle, or useless perks on a weapon that doesn't need them, I am sick and tired of getting cheated by Banshee-44!

If Bungie really wants us to build our characters up to be our own personal badasses, we need some manual choices in there, not just a random system determining what we have to work with. I want to look at my Gheleon's Demise and say "What can I do to make this weapon really shine?" instead of "How long will I be sitting here waiting for a slightly above average roll?" If I want my scout rifle to have the Outlaw and Firefly perks, because I'm the kind of player who will sit back and pick off smaller enemies with quick headshots while my team tanks the bigger stuff, I should be able to do that. I should also be able to select my favorite ironsights, red dot sights, and scopes, along with secondary perks that will help me do my job.

Now, here's my suggestion. The reforge system needs to be looked at again. Here's a way that I think would work very well without being too overpowered:

1. Keep the reforge system intact (same price: 1 mote of light, 3 weapon parks, and 250 glimmer), but limit it to the MAIN perks.
a. For example, perks like outlaw, firefly, final round, and glass half full, the ones that appear prominently on a weapon in the inventory.

2. For 1 mote of light (per use, unlimited uses), let us change one perk of our choosing, from only the following categories:
a. sights/barrels (Red Dot OES, Smart Drift Control, Ambush SLH25, etc.)
b. secondary perks (High Caliber Rounds, Extended Mag, Quickdraw, etc.)
c. damage element (special/heavy weapons only)

3. If paying motes for each individual perk wouldn't work, maybe a player could pay 1 etheric light to choose all of those secondary perks.

If this system is implemented, the only random aspect of reforging would be the main two perks of each reforged weapon, the ones that significantly change the way the weapon is used. I believe this would be a fair and far less frustrating system for players to use.

If you have suggestions to add, support or criticism to throw in, please feel free to comment and tell me what you think.
Runswithduck
Runswithduck

12 Credits 32 Posts
Your pretty much saying that you want them to make it easy for you to run around with the best possible rolls on yours guns. I feel like that would ruin the game, everyone would be running around with insane perks on the weapons. I guess being able to switch the element would be cool buts that's about it. you know how excited you get after spending like 100 motes and you finally get the perks you want. that would all go away cause you will always get what you want. I think what your asking is just a little to much
ODST Parker
ODST Parker

3 Credits 6 Posts
1 Credit(s) Received
Runswithduck said:Your pretty much saying that you want them to make it easy for you to run around with the best possible rolls on yours guns. I feel like that would ruin the game, everyone would be running around with insane perks on the weapons. I guess being able to switch the element would be cool buts that's about it. you know how excited you get after spending like 100 motes and you finally get the perks you want. that would all go away cause you will always get what you want. I think what your asking is just a little to much

I'm not saying that I want everyone to have the best weapons in the game, I'm saying that I want everyone to have an equal and fair opportunity to get THEIR best guns. I'm usually better without using weapons that most people like, such as Thorn and the Vex, especially in PvE. I have my own way of playing, a way that I enjoy and that I'm good at. So, if I need a specific type of weapon with a specific set of perks in order to play better, I should be able to do that without having to waste time and tons of resources waiting to get it.

The way the system works now, anyone can get the most "powerful" rolls on perks, it's only a matter of time. The thing is, that only makes it better for the ones who get them, and it makes it extremely frustrating for those of us who don't. For instance, I've been set on trying to get a good roll on my Dark Below Efrideet's Spear. I've gone through at least 100 reforges, and I still haven't gotten a good one for what I need. If I get close, there's always one or two things missing that I really wanted. On my Felwinter's Lie, however, I got a near perfect roll on the first try when House of Wolves came out. That's how unreliable this system is, and I think that really needs to change.

Hell, I even think that armor should be part of the reforging system. How annoying is it when you use certain weapons and can't find armor with perks that match it? As a Hunter, I usually don't use my melee abilities that often, but I keep finding armor with strength. How great would it be if I could find armor and reroll it until it had intellect and discipline?

It's all about giving more power to the player, instead of us having to put all our faith into an entirely random system. Also, now that I think about it, there's a way to make it all better and less frustrating. It might cost more resources, depending on your luck, but it might be a better alternative. They could allow us to randomly reroll one perk at a time. That way, if we find something that we like in one category, we can move on to the next without screwing up everything else.
VerruckterSchakal
VerruckterSchakal

64 Credits 135 Posts
Getting the 'best rolls' should not be that easy. Whatever little balance there is in this game, would be totally destroyed by what you're suggesting.
ODST Parker
ODST Parker

3 Credits 6 Posts
1 Credit(s) Received
VerruckterSchakal said:Getting the 'best rolls' should not be that easy. Whatever little balance there is in this game, would be totally destroyed by what you're suggesting.

Again, people already have these "best rolls," and it's just making it more frustrating for the rest of us. Giving everyone an equal and fair opportunity to acquire and test their own "best" weapons would level the playing field significantly. Right now, I'm sure a small number of players have exactly the roll that they wanted on any given weapon, most of us just make due with what we get once we're out of resources. If we all had the chance to make out weapons exactly how we want them to be, we'd all have an equal chance to be the best, to do what makes us better.

Call of Duty does this, even if they've implemented a random weapon drop system with Advanced Warfare. If you want more ammunition in the magazine, you put extended mags on. If you want more accuracy, you put a foregrip on. If I want to do either of these things in Destiny, I have to sit at the gunsmith and wait until RNGesus smiles upon me and my scout rifle.
Faid
Faid

6 Credits 14 Posts
If you want a perfect gun, spend the time getting motes. I had around 1700 motes and trust me it is hard to get a perfect matador or HB. Remember when you couldn't re roll things? this is extremely OP compared to that so making it easier would take all the fun out of it.
ODST Parker
ODST Parker

3 Credits 6 Posts
Eift said:If you want a perfect gun, spend the time getting motes. I had around 1700 motes and trust me it is hard to get a perfect matador or HB. Remember when you couldn't re roll things? this is extremely OP compared to that so making it easier would take all the fun out of it.

The thing is, getting that many motes of light, not to mention weapon parts and glimmer (the hard cap doesn't make that any less frustrating), takes a ton of time that not a lot of players have. I never have more than 100 or so at any time, and I'm down to about 500 weapon parts. I wish I had the time to play every activity every week, and to grind items in the world like there's no tomorrow, but I just can't. I have college to worry about, other people have school and jobs, not everyone has the time to grind as much. So, with this system, the best only get better and the rest of us are left behind. People need equal opportunity, not a random system that requires so many resources if you don't get lucky.
Faid
Faid

6 Credits 14 Posts
2 Credit(s) Received
ODST Parker said:
Eift said:If you want a perfect gun, spend the time getting motes. I had around 1700 motes and trust me it is hard to get a perfect matador or HB. Remember when you couldn't re roll things? this is extremely OP compared to that so making it easier would take all the fun out of it.

The thing is, getting that many motes of light, not to mention weapon parts and glimmer (the hard cap doesn't make that any less frustrating), takes a ton of time that not a lot of players have. I never have more than 100 or so at any time, and I'm down to about 500 weapon parts. I wish I had the time to play every activity every week, and to grind items in the world like there's no tomorrow, but I just can't. I have college to worry about, other people have school and jobs, not everyone has the time to grind as much. So, with this system, the best only get better and the rest of us are left behind. People need equal opportunity, not a random system that requires so many resources if you don't get lucky.

So if I put in more time than you, you should get the same capabilities. No just no. It really is not luck either, luck gives a players like you a chance! Imagine if you still needed to grind for 100 new monarchy packages to get the perfect Judgment, imagine if it flat out said 500 motes and pick your perks. You should be thanking bungie.

/thread
ODST Parker
ODST Parker

3 Credits 6 Posts
Eift said:
So if I put in more time than you, you should get the same capabilities. No just no. It really is not luck either, luck gives a players like you a chance! Imagine if you still needed to grind for 100 new monarchy packages to get the perfect Judgment, imagine if it flat out said 500 motes and pick your perks. You should be thanking bungie.

No, that's not it at all. Time isn't the only factor here, grinding for materials just gives you more chances at the completely random reforge system. That's what needs to be changed, not how much time is required to get the needed materials. I'm sorry, you're right about the time factor. Maybe they could increase the price to make it more fair to players like you. Still, having it be completely random is not the right way to go in my opinion.

Hell, I would go for a system that asked for 500 motes in order to have a choice, it's probably less than I'd spend on most weapons to get a good selection of perks. I've gotten one good roll out of about 200 attempts by now, across three different weapons. I'm tired of it.
VerruckterSchakal
VerruckterSchakal

64 Credits 135 Posts
ODST Parker said:
VerruckterSchakal said:Getting the 'best rolls' should not be that easy. Whatever little balance there is in this game, would be totally destroyed by what you're suggesting.

Again, people already have these "best rolls," and it's just making it more frustrating for the rest of us. Giving everyone an equal and fair opportunity to acquire and test their own "best" weapons would level the playing field significantly. Right now, I'm sure a small number of players have exactly the roll that they wanted on any given weapon, most of us just make due with what we get once we're out of resources. If we all had the chance to make out weapons exactly how we want them to be, we'd all have an equal chance to be the best, to do what makes us better.

Call of Duty does this, even if they've implemented a random weapon drop system with Advanced Warfare. If you want more ammunition in the magazine, you put extended mags on. If you want more accuracy, you put a foregrip on. If I want to do either of these things in Destiny, I have to sit at the gunsmith and wait until RNGesus smiles upon me and my scout rifle.

Yes people have perfect rolls already, but it should not be made any easier than it already has been.
ODST Parker
ODST Parker

3 Credits 6 Posts
I'll just add that I've reforged my Dark Below version of Efrideet's Spear about fifty more times over the last two days. All I'm looking for is Rodeo, Final Round, Field Scout, and a varied selection of scopes (close, medium, and long range). If I could get void damage, so much the better, because I still don't have a void sniper. This is for PvE, mind you, not PvP.

Last night, I got so close. Everything was perfect except for the scopes and damage element. Since I hated these particular scopes, and I already have a couple of arc sniper rifles, I decided to keep going. I'll likely never see that combination again, thanks to a bad selection of scopes and the wrong damage element. Tell me, how would it be a bad thing to change insignificant things like that?

I don't even care if I have a choice anymore, I just want to change each perk one at a time, so I don't have to get rid of an otherwise perfect roll because of one shit aspect of it.