Destiny 2 Tracker Network

This thread is closed

punxrox
punxrox

28 Credits 7 Posts
5 Credit(s) Received
I have a question about the leaderboards/stats database on this site and how they are retrieved and listed.

After day one of this game's release, I have only played a couple crucible matches so I currently have 38 total kills at the time I'm writing this. On this site's leaderboard, it says for those total kills I'm currently ranked #1696 and I'm in the top 73%.

So the question is, why am I ranked so high with only 38 kills? I'd be kind of surprised if only 1696 people have only amassed around 38 total kills in the crucible for day one. I know it's only been one day but that made me wonder if this database lists every player who's ever played the crucible or does it only list people who have looked up their stats on this site.

The only logical conclusion I can come up with is that either not that many people played the crucible day one or that this site's database lists only a limited group of players on it's leaderboard.

Can someone please clarify how it all works?

Jennie
Jennie

92 Credits 146 Posts
6 Credit(s) Received
It all depends on how many people are in our database currently. As more people are added or signing up the leaderboard will grow. With it only being a day after launch we are not going to have tens of thousands of players on the boards yet. It also depends on your stats and how we weight them. I cannot provide the exact formula for determining site score and such, but that will also factor into your placement on the LBs.

Let me know if this helps :)


punxrox
punxrox

28 Credits 7 Posts
8 Credit(s) Received
Jennie said:It all depends on how many people are in our database currently. As more people are added or signing up the leaderboard will grow. With it only being a day after launch we are not going to have tens of thousands of players on the boards yet. It also depends on your stats and how we weight them. I cannot provide the exact formula for determining site score and such, but that will also factor into your placement on the LBs.

Let me know if this helps :)


Yes it does thank you :D

I was mostly curious as to if ALL players were automatically added to your leaderboards as soon as they play crucible. Like how much of the total Destiny population will be listed? Who wouldn't be on the leaderboards for example? Can you say how people are added to your leaderboards? Like do people who never visit this site get added or is it strictly limited to this site's community?

I ask because I want to know how I match up against the WHOLE Xbox Live population for example. Like EVERYONE who's ever played crucible. I don't know if that's possible but I'd like to know if it was. Sadly there are no in game leaderboards for that. This site is the best I've found for detailed stats either way so I appreciate it's existence even if it's not EVERYONE...

Oh and one more thing. Can you explain in a little bit more detail about the DTR score meaning. Is there a max score to strive towards for example? Is it simply the higher the score the better when compared to other people? I've read this post about it but I'm still a little confused as to what exactly it represents: http://destinytracker.com/Forums/Post/4047/2/site-news-guide-to-destinytracker

Sorry for asking so many questions haha. I just want to fully utilize all the great info this site has. I'm kind of stat obsessed. It gives me something to strive for in game. I like the competitive side of it.



Yin
Yin

309 Credits 336 Posts
6 Credit(s) Received
Hello Punxrox,

Because we do not have access to the same level of resources as developers often do, we can only facilitate all players in theory. That is, while we cannot automatically gather each player, we can collect the statistics of players that are searched on the website. Over time, you will see this number grow, but it will likely never amount to the sheer number of players on the game itself. The best mentality going in with this in mind, is that anyone who remotely cares about their statistics will likely visit and see how they are faring (or someone else will do it on their behalf).

DestinyTracker Site Score is our own personal way of ranking how you play. While TrueSkill generally represents your wins in the Crucible, Site Score focuses on you, the player. Site score has no limit, but becomes more difficult to earn as time progresses. While initially it may seem inaccurate (when games played varies greatly between two players), the most seasoned of Guardians will end up with an accurate value of site score that can attest to their own abilities in matchmaking. That said, your best bet is to shoot for a high TrueSkill first, by then your Site Score should be well on its way.

Feel free to ask away! We always value your feedback!


Jennie
Jennie

92 Credits 146 Posts
1 Credit(s) Received
Unfortunately we do not have the ability to pull in every person that has played Destiny, only those that have been added to our database by others or by signing up.

I am going to let another staff member answer the questions about our site score, since I'm not the best person to answer that.


punxrox
punxrox

28 Credits 7 Posts
5 Credit(s) Received
Darkened Night said:Hello Punxrox,

Because we do not have access to the same level of resources as developers often do, we can only facilitate all players in theory. That is, while we cannot automatically gather each player, we can collect the statistics of players that are searched on the website. Over time, you will see this number grow, but it will likely never amount to the sheer number of players on the game itself. The best mentality going in with this in mind, is that anyone who remotely cares about their statistics will likely visit and see how they are faring (or someone else will do it on their behalf).

DestinyTracker Site Score is our own personal way of ranking how you play. While TrueSkill generally represents your wins in the Crucible, Site Score focuses on you, the player. Site score has no limit, but becomes more difficult to earn as time progresses. While initially it may seem inaccurate (when games played varies greatly between two players), the most seasoned of Guardians will end up with an accurate value of site score that can attest to their own abilities in matchmaking. That said, your best bet is to shoot for a high TrueSkill first, by then your Site Score should be well on its way.

Feel free to ask away! We always value your feedback!



Alright I think I get it now! Thank you both!

One more thing now that you mention the TrueSkill system, that's how the Halo 2 multiplayer ranks worked back in the day as far as I'm aware of. Does your TrueSkill system work the same way? I really liked the Halo 2 system so that'd be cool if it's the same because I've got a pretty good feel for it.

Yin
Yin

309 Credits 336 Posts
5 Credit(s) Received
punxrox said:One more thing now that you mention the TrueSkill system, that's how the Halo 2 multiplayer ranks worked back in the day as far as I'm aware of. Does your TrueSkill system work the same way? I really liked the Halo 2 system so that'd be cool if it's the same because I've got a pretty good feel for it.


The TrueSkill formula was in fact modeled after the Halo 2 ranking structure. We tested the waters of this feature on our sister site HaloTracker.com and revamped it for Destiny as you see now. While we cannot replicate Halo 2's methodology, we've done our very best to bring a fair and accurate system that is similar to it for you to enjoy.

punxrox
punxrox

28 Credits 7 Posts
5 Credit(s) Received
Darkened Night said:
punxrox said:One more thing now that you mention the TrueSkill system, that's how the Halo 2 multiplayer ranks worked back in the day as far as I'm aware of. Does your TrueSkill system work the same way? I really liked the Halo 2 system so that'd be cool if it's the same because I've got a pretty good feel for it.


The TrueSkill formula was in fact modeled after the Halo 2 ranking structure. We tested the waters of this feature on our sister site HaloTracker.com and revamped it for Destiny as you see now. While we cannot replicate Halo 2's methodology, we've done our very best to bring a fair and accurate system that is similar to it for you to enjoy.


Sweet! Sounds good to me!

So I've been looking at the top players in the leaderboards to check out their TrueSkill ranks to see how far the best have gotten so far. I've noticed that even the best players are around level 20s in TrueSkill. Why is that? I haven't seen much higher than that so far. For example check out this player: http://destinytracker.com/destiny/player/xbox/IR%20E%20D%20E%20M%20P%20T

As of right now this player has a lvl 28 TrueSkill rating, It's the highest I've found so far. They've played 43 games with 42 wins for a 98% win percentage. They also have a K/D of 4.83 and KA/D of 6.71. Those are some pretty awesome stats...

Anyways, so what's it going to take for someone to get to lvl 50 TrueSkill? Has this person simply not played enough games to achieve lvl 50 or what? When can I expect to see some 50s? How achievable is it to reach lvl 50?

Yin
Yin

309 Credits 336 Posts
6 Credit(s) Received
TrueSkill is all about player investment; we want Guardians coming back often, playing continuously for the rush associated with seeing a shiny new icon next to his or her name. That said, TrueSkill takes a significant effort to level up as time progresses. This isn't too far away from the Halo 2 system either, where a large number of games was also required before players could tackle the upper ends of the spectrum. Since the game is still extremely new, you won't see this higher end until later on, it certainly wouldn't be very fun if everyone was a 50 within the first week!

xorth
xorth

642 Credits 527 Posts
1 Credit(s) Received
punxrox,

I appreciate all your questions, and do keep them coming. The staff has done a great job answering. I just wanted to add in, that we do this same thing for Halo Stats (Halotracker.com), and it all works out. On the first week, the leaderboards are small, but, they are competitive. Casual gamers are not taking the time out of their day to come to stats sites, at least, not in the first week.

In the next few weeks, the leaderboards will continue to grow. And in months time, there will be an amazing amount of people on them. They grow so fast as people put the controller down and start seeking out their stats, and other community sites.

Please remember (not that you forgot), that statistics use a sample of data to make statements about all the data. So in a months time, if you are in the top 12% of KD of Destinytracker, then it's very reasonable to say, you are in the top 12% in the world. As our sample data grows and grows (this is a 10 year game!!!), the accuracy grows with it.

As far as true skill is concerned, the game is new, and we don't want people getting a 50 the first week, so we made some adjustments to keep it fun and keep it a challenge.

Thanks for all your questions, and keep'em coming. If you have ever have any issues, or something you disagree with, feel free to private message me and we can talk about improving the site.

Thanks.

punxrox
punxrox

28 Credits 7 Posts
xorth said:punxrox,

I appreciate all your questions, and do keep them coming. The staff has done a great job answering. I just wanted to add in, that we do this same thing for Halo Stats (Halotracker.com), and it all works out. On the first week, the leaderboards are small, but, they are competitive. Casual gamers are not taking the time out of their day to come to stats sites, at least, not in the first week.

In the next few weeks, the leaderboards will continue to grow. And in months time, there will be an amazing amount of people on them. They grow so fast as people put the controller down and start seeking out their stats, and other community sites.

Please remember (not that you forgot), that statistics use a sample of data to make statements about all the data. So in a months time, if you are in the top 12% of KD of Destinytracker, then it's very reasonable to say, you are in the top 12% in the world. As our sample data grows and grows (this is a 10 year game!!!), the accuracy grows with it.

As far as true skill is concerned, the game is new, and we don't want people getting a 50 the first week, so we made some adjustments to keep it fun and keep it a challenge.

Thanks for all your questions, and keep'em coming. If you have ever have any issues, or something you disagree with, feel free to private message me and we can talk about improving the site.

Thanks.


Thank you all for answering my questions! You've gotten me really curious about how the TrueSkill system itself works now. I've been inspired to do some research myself. With that said, it's quite... intense... to say the least haha.

For any future stat curious readers like myself, here's a very informative link I've found about the math side of it: http://www.moserware.com/2010/03/computing-your-skill.html

In summary:

Such probability. Very ratio. Many Maths.



Anyways, I'm glad to hear your system is similar to the old Halo 2 system because I've got some unfinished business to take care of now with the release of Destiny. I didn't get any farther than the low 40's back then. Now it's time for that 50!!!!


This thread is closed