Destiny 2 Tracker Network
ElfCrisis
ElfCrisis

0 Credits 2 Posts
Hey folks, I'm having a hard time with pvp and I'm looking for some advice.

First off, let's get something out of the way: I suck at pvp. I know this, and I'm okay with it. So if your first thought is to sneer and call me a scrub or a noob or whatever, that's fine, just please don't post it here.

Now, on with the show.

1) Aiming:
- Can't keep a body in my sights long enough to hit them, let alone kill them
- Others players bob and weave and jump to dodge my attacks
- I try the same things and get shot up anyway
- Feels like other players can switch weapons, take aim, and pop my head off with incredible speed
- Also feels like it takes another player one or two shots/bursts to kill me
- Takes me forever to kill them, unless I get lucky with a sniper head shot

Is this a lag issue, or am I just old (38) and have poor reflexes?

2) Auto-aim (??)
- Sometimes the game gives me a nudge towards a target
- I don't expect it, and it throws me off
- Feel like I'm fighting the game just to take a bead on someone

Is there a way to turn this off, or do I need to learn how to roll with it?

3) PANIC:
- When I get in close, I shove the sticks around trying to find the other guy
- End up spinning in circles looking at the floor or ceiling (mostly the ceiling)

Do I just need to be more calm, meditate beforehand or something?

I like to shoot people from a distance, and if I get in close, to Blink Strike/melee. I also like grenades. If I can stick someone with a flux grenade, that's a guaranteed kill. Seems pretty easy for everyone to get off a good toss, though, so I don't feel disadvantaged there.

Feel free to critique my build and gear. I change things up all the time, trying out different abilities and settings on my weapons, but if there are some builds that work better than others, I'd love to hear about them.

Thanks in advance,
ELF
CRISIS
Daimyon
Daimyon

174 Credits 119 Posts
1 Credit(s) Received
I'll take a stab at it and see if I can shine a light on some things.

1. Aiming
This is just something that comes with time. A lot of it will also deal with your third point, which I will address. Make sure you have your sensitivity at something you are comfortable with controlling. A good way to practice is just go to any planet on patrol and kill random enemies.
When it feels like other players are able to take aim faster and pop off a headshot, it's because after you play enough, you can basically tell where on your screen your crosshair will be when you stop running or moving. When you can master that, you're halfway there.
Also, something to bare in mind is your choice of weapons, If you like to shoot from a distance, try scout rifles. They have a modest ranged zoom and pack a hell of a punch. Auto Rifles are also popular, and there are two types to choose from, slow firing and quick firing. Quick Firing auto rifles are bullet hoses and spray an incredibly amount of lead into an enemy, but comes at the price of lower damage per bullet, and quite often have significant recoil. Slower firing auto rifles are easier to control and do more damage per shot, but this also means that missing a shot is all the more detrimental to your chances of winning a fight.
I don't recommend Pulse Rifles unless you really like them, and Hand Cannons are only if you are good at aiming.
Basically, the idea here is to get a gun you like and are comfortable with and practice with it. It doesn't have to be in the crucible, you can just run around and shoot enemies. Skill comes with time.

2. Auto-Aim
Yes, there is aim assist in this game, and sometimes you will notice that when you zoom in to shoot at a target, it will compensate for you if you're off by a bit. As far as I know, you can't really turn this off. You might also notice that your sensitivity seems to lower slightly as your crosshair moves over a target, this too is by design.
If you take a brief look at some of the weapons on the database on this site, you will notice one of the stats for guns is the amount of aim assist it gives. Some guns do it more than others, so if it's something you don't particularly like, look for a gun with low aim assist. I, however, recommend embracing the feature and learn to use it to your advantage, and even anticipate it.

3. PANIC!
This will happen if you're new to shooters and PVP especially. Your adrenaline gets going, you start to over think things, and before you know it, you've lost the fight. Once again, only time really helps with this. However, it may help if you keep reminding yourself that it's just a game and you're not playing for anything serious. I actually don't play with the volume on at all and listen to my favorite music while I play. I find it makes things more enjoyable, at least for me.
The worst thing you can do is let it get to you. If you're finding that constantly getting killed or getting no kills of your own is driving you mad, then stop doing it, you will only learn to hate it. Remember, it's just a game.

A few points of consideration...
PVP can be rewarding, but can also be incredibly frustrating. Something I've noticed that grinds on a lot of people is getting killed by people using fusion rifles or shotguns. It can be annoying to know that people are just going around one-shotting you, but in the long run, they are playing to win, and any advantage someone can have, most people will use. Also, don't let supers get on your nerves either, everyone uses them, and if you don't then you are neglecting a valuable asset in your arsenal.
Keep one eye on your minimap, it will tell you what to expect. If you see a red line on the outside of the circle, another player is in that direction a good ways away. If one of the sections goes solid red, they are close to you, often close enough to see. If you see a circle around the center, they are quite literally right on top of you, or below you. Should any of these indicators be slightly shaded darker, it means they are either higher or lower than where you currently are. If you see a red indicator, but it is slowly flashing, this means someone is crouched. This is the best way to tell if someone is hiding around a corner, waiting to pump you with a shotgun blast. Once you get the hang of these indicators you will have a better idea of what to expect and from where.
Learn the maps. Being able to watch the minimap is great, but if you don't know the ways someone can come at you, then it's only half as useful as it can be to you. Know where ammo spawns, where heavy ammo spawns, and typical camping spots are. You usually don't need to worry about picking up ammo, but if you can get your hands on some heavy ammo, you've got a good chance of landing at least a few easy kills.
Don't get caught in a bad situation. This comes with knowing the map. If you have to reload, make sure you're not doing it in the open. Try to stay away from enclosed areas and hallways, they are usually killzones for fusion rifles and shotguns. Always make sure to check your mimimap before going through a door or entering a room. Running in without checking for someone crouched has caused me many deaths in the past. Use the map to play to your strengths and hide your weaknesses. If you do better with ranged combat than up close, find somewhere that gives you a a good distance from high traffic locations so you won't be drawn into close quarters combat.
Watch others. Learn what people are doing and try it out. Also, watch for patterns, you will see in many maps that there are certain areas that fire fights happen the most. You can choose to engage in those areas, or avoid them if you're not comfortable. Playing with friends is also a good idea because you can help each other out, or you can learn from someone who has been playing longer.
Lastly, and most importantly, have fun. If it's not fun, it's no longer a game and then you're not playing, you're working.

Hopefully, some of this helps. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
ElfCrisis
ElfCrisis

0 Credits 2 Posts
Hey there, sorry it's taken so long for me to get back to you.

Thanks for all the great advice, especially the explanation of how the radar works. I'd wondered about that but never bothered to look it up. The existence of the Aim stat, too, was great.

Anyway, thanks again. I really appreciate the time you took to give such detailed feedback. :)